Common Types of Personal Injury
Accessible information from Illinois personal injury lawyers
Personal injuries can seriously and permanently impact your ability to work and live normally. They can also threaten your earning potential and financial security. When you suffer an injury caused by negligence, you have the right to fair compensation for your damages. The Chicago personal injury lawyers of Phillips Law Offices have been assisting clients in personal injury cases for over 65 years.
Some of the most common types of injuries include the following:
Head injuries involve trauma that leads to injury of the scalp, skull, or brain. These injuries can range from a minor bump on the skull to a serious brain injury. There are two types of head injuries:
- A closed head injury means you received a hard blow to the head from striking an object, but the object did not break the skull.
- An open head injury is when the victim is hit with an object that breaks the skull and enters the brain. This usually happens while moving at high speed, such as going through the windshield during a car accident. It can also happen from a gunshot to the head.
If you were involved in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, you should speak with a knowledgeable Chicago head injury lawyer at the Phillips Law Offices as soon as possible.
- Neck injuries include neck sprains, which are often caused by falls or sudden twists that overload or overstretch the joint. Symptoms include swelling, reduced flexibility and pain. Sprains can be mild, moderate or severe.
- Whiplash is another type of neck injury and results in one or several diagnoses including muscle strain, ligament sprain or disc injury. With whiplash, the head is thrown first into hyperextension and then quickly forward. It is most often due to car accidents, but may be caused by sports injuries, falls or trauma.
Neck injuries can be more serious than you assume. Seeking medical treatment as quickly as possible may save you pain and frustration later. Our experienced spinal injury lawyers may be able to help if you’re living with the results of a neck injury.
Other types of injuries
- Back and spinal injuries include strains and sprains, bulging, herniated or ruptured discs to the cervical, thoracic or lumbar spine.
- Injuries to the upper extremities include hands, wrists and elbows. These injuries include carpal tunnel syndrome, tennis elbow, bicep tears, and repetitive use and overuse injuries.
- Shoulder injuries include tendonitis and torn rotator cuffs.
- Knee injuries include tendonitis, arthritis, patella injuries and fractures.
- Industrial diseases include cancer, occupational asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chemical exposure, dermatitis, emphysema and silicosis. Our dedicated Chicago asbestos lawyers may be able to help.
If you are the victim of a work-related injury, you may wish to speak with the Chicago workers compensation lawyers at the Phillips Law Offices. We have more than 65 years of experience helping people obtain the help they need.
Contact a trusted Chicago personal injury lawyer to discuss your case
If you sustained an injury as the result of negligence, you face a time of stress and financial uncertainty. One of the best things you can do is to discuss your situation with a personal injury attorney. The Chicago personal injury lawyers at Phillips Law Offices offer quality and comprehensive legal services to the injured and their families throughout Illinois. Call (312) 346-4262, or contact us online today for a free consultation with one of our attorneys about your case.